MALYA LAKE ZONE AFFORESTATION RESEARCH CENTRE
Malya Lake Zone Afforestation Research Centre with its headquarters at Malya in Kwimba district covers Shinyanga, Mwanza, Geita, Simiyu, Kagera and Mara regions. The centre is supported by two sub-stations which are located at TFS-NAFRAC office in Shinyanga and Kagera within Fisheries Office.
MALYA CENTRE HEAD OFFICE:
The Centre is mandated to cover all areas in the lake zone of carrying out and coordinating all forestry research activities. The overall objective is to provide basic technical information on the best species or provenances, best agroforestry options to stakeholders and utilization of forests products.
MAIN RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:
- Monitoring of Clonal Forest Trials (TTBP)
- Management of the promising lesser known-fast growing timber tree species for seed orchard, species and provenance trials.
- Management of Agroforestry research trials
- Management of on-station selected priority medicinal trees trials at Lubaga-Tafori based sub-station at Shinyanga.
- Observation Plots of indigenous Fruit Trees at Lubaga, Shinyanga and Malya
- Scaling up of agroforestry technologies in the lake zone
Other new established research trials include:
- Monitoring of Ex-Situ Gene Conservation Stand for Gmelina arborea and Melia azederach at Igwata-Malya Centre.
- Monitoring of screening trials of 10 Eucalyptus Hybrid Clones against Eucalyptus Local land races at Igwata-Malya.
- Observation trials of P. caribaea and P. tecunumanii at Ruasina, Bukoba and Misenyi Kagera Region.